Monday, August 22, 2011

Talking the Talk

Today is the first day back at school! What an exciting time for everyone involved with a school district; teachers entering refreshed and renewed after summer vacation, and students entering the school a year older, with new school supplies (one of my favorite things!), and new teachers. Every year I feel it is the job of the administrators to get everyone excited about coming back to school and giving it their all for another 180 days. This year our district had guest speaker, Brent Matthias @BrentMatthais come to talk with us about the upcoming year. This short speech really got me thinking and excited about the school year that is upon us. The following are a few important points that I will take away from Brent's speech. 
  • TEAM - Being part of a team is a much better way to get things accomplished. There is no way I can do what I do without those around me for support. I would also like to feel that I'm a valuable asset to that team as well. Also, when working as a TEAM no one person should receive all of the credit. Give credit where credit is due. 
  • MAKE A DIFFERENCE - As Dr. Fiene talked today he discussed each person who works in a school will make a difference in a child's life. You are to ask yourself what kind of difference will that be. Brent added on to this by reminding us that we spend more time with the children in our classes than their own parents. We need to take that responsibly seriously and make a POSITIVE difference.
  • BE GENEROUS - We heard two stories of Brent's generosity in the short time he was with us. He looks pretty successful. I know that I may not always be able to be generous with my money, but I know each day I can be generous with my time and talent. Not only will I reap the benefits, but so will the children that I work with
  • BE HAPPY - What more is there to say? If you can't say at the end of the day that the work you do and the people you surround yourself make you happy, than there is something wrong with your picture.
Now back to the title of this post, "Talking the Talk". Typically when hearing this saying it is followed up by, "and walking the walk". I did hear a lot of talk today and now I have to continually challenge myself and those that are part of my team to now "walk the walk."

What does "walking that walk" look like? In my mind that means putting the children at the forefront of any decision making process and continuing to know that they are the business we are in. My job today as it is for the next 180 days of this school year is to challenge my students and make that positive difference in their life. Follow my journey this year and please continue to encourage me as I attempt to, "walk the walk" and not just "talk the talk". And if I'm able to accomplish this I know that I will BE HAPPY!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment